Distribution and Demographics
Published quarterly, Continuum magazine is distributed to approximately 270,000 readers annually (generally, the Fall issue is about 115,000, with Spring, Summer, and Winter issues approximately 52,000 each). Recipients of the magazine reside primarily along the Wasatch Front (from Ogden to Salt Lake City to Provo) and the Intermountain West. The magazine also targets active alumni chapters in Arizona, Boston, California, Colorado, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
Dues-paying members of the Alumni Association receive all four issues of the magazine as a benefit of membership. Each issue is also distributed to subscribers among the University’s faculty and staff, including those at the University Hospital & Clinics and the medical research and health sciences departments. Nonmember graduates throughout the United States receive the magazine approximately once a year.
The readership includes:
- –Around 6,000 dues-paying members (primarily alumni) of the Alumni Association, comprising a readership of well-educated professionals representing a wide range of age groups and diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. In addition to membership dues, their support of the University is frequently demonstrated by their annual giving to the Alumni General Scholarship Fund (through purchase of University license plates, the annual 5K Run, Scholarship Scramble Golf tournament, and other activities) and their respective colleges.
- –Approximately 40,000 (most issues) to 90,000 (Fall) to University of Utah graduates who are neither members of the Alumni Association nor employees of the University. This group of readers is composed of well-educated professionals representing a range of age groups and diverse backgrounds and lifestyles.
- –Staff and faculty subscribers
- –Select Utah state legislators and government officials
- –Select physicians’ offices and clinics throughout the Wasatch Front
- –University friends, supporters, and donors
- Continuum also has several distribution racks on the University of Utah campus in an effort to get the magazine in the hands of University of Utah students and other nonsubscribers on campus. Several hundred copies of each issue are picked up there.
Most Recent Readership Profile
Average total household income:
Persons per household:
90% of Continuum readers hold baccalaureate degrees
32.8% of Continuum readers hold a graduate degree
25.4% of Continuum readers hold doctoral degrees
Top Five Graduating Colleges of Continuum Readers
Social & Behavioral Sciences
Readers’ Lifetime Giving History to the U of U
|Up to $1,000||71%|
|Up to $10,000||21%|
|Up to $60,000||5%|
|Up to $200,000||2%|
|$200,000 to $5 million||1%|